The participant criteria for the programme aims to include as many pupils who may face barriers to access as possible:
- Pupils who live in an SIMD 0-20 post code area*
- Pupils who are care experienced
- Estranged pupils
- Refugee or asylum seeker pupils
- Pupils with caring responsibilities
- Low Income Family
- Family in receipt of benefits
- Other adverse circumstances
- Pupils should be academically capable of 2+ Highers.
*SIMD stands for Scottish Index for Multiple Deprivation (ranked 1- most deprived to 6,976-least deprived). When using SIMD as a way of working out where support may be helpful, programmes focus on the 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% most deprived areas of Scotland. For admissions purposes – in other words at the point where pupils are applying to HE institutions, targets are broadly categorised as SIMD 0-20 and SIMD 20-40.